At Northwood Academy, Biblical truth is the foundation of academic excellence. Our schools serve 920 students from 12 weeks through 12th grade, through every age and stage of childhood until early adulthood. We are an accredited, co-educational, college preparatory Christian school in Summerville, South Carolina.
Our Pre-school students (12 weeks – Pre-K) are engaged in developmentally appropriate, hands-on experiences which equip them:
- Spiritually – by providing the comfort and security of loving relationships, warm environments and simple truths which will develop a child's foundational moral character and nurture their love for God.
- Physically – by offering a wide variety of experiences which will develop a child's large and small muscle coordination and motor skills.
- Socially & Emotionally – by encouraging participation and cooperation in group activities and getting along with others which will develop a child's sense of security, confidence in their abilities, and belonging.
- Intellectually – by exploring and using first-hand experiences which will develop a child's capacity and enthusiasm for learning.
Our Lower School students (grades K-5) are equipped academically, emotionally, socially, and spiritually. Their God-given abilities and skills are engaged in challenging, supportive, and fun curricular and extra-curricular opportunities.
- Learning through experience is the foundation of our kindergarten program.
- A solid foundation in language arts and mathematics is the key to a student's success in the primary grades.
- Transitioning from "learning to read" to "reading to learn" is the emphasis of 3rd grade.
- Through a departmental approach, students begin the process of changing classrooms and teachers to prepare for the upcoming middle school years. The students spend equal time with subject-mastered teachers.
Our middle school (grades 6-8) curriculum is designed to challenge and equip students to develop respect and integrity, and to become responsible and independent learners. Sixth and seventh grade students attend classes in the middle school wing. Eighth grade students may earn up to 3 high school credits and may attend classes in both the middle and high school wings.
Our high school (grades 9-12) curriculum is designed to prepare students to meet the academic challenges at the most competitive colleges and universities, and to understand the cultural challenges to positively impact their community. Northwood Academy offers the AP Capstone™ Program and Diploma which distinguishes students with independent research, collaborative teamwork, and communication skills necessary for college and beyond. We offer Advanced Placement® courses, Spanish IV, and a college level Biblical philosophy course. All of our graduates meet the requirements set forth by the SC Commission on Higher Education for students attending a South Carolina college or university.